Emergency Preparedness: 10 Ways You Can Be Disaster Prepared
(From the City of San Jose website - link above)
10 Ways You Can Be Disaster Prepared
1. Learn which kinds of natural and human-caused disasters pose a risk for your area (earthquakes, fires, floods, etc.)
2. Develop a Family Disaster Plan and put it in writing.
3. Build Disaster Supply Kits for your home, office, and car.
4. Choose an out-of-town contact person whom family members may call to report how and where they are during an emergency.
5. Know where to go during an emergency; designate a park, school or other convenient location.
6. Prepare your children and remember those with special needs, such as infants, seniors, and people with disabilities.
7. Include your pets in your Family Disaster Plan.
8. Eliminate hazards in your home and office.
9. Learn how to keep yourself and your family safe by taking first aid, CPR and other preparedness classes.
10. Get involved -- donate blood, educate your neighbors, and join your local Citizen Corps and volunteer!
For more information, please contact:
Office of Emergency Services
855 N. San Pedro Street
San Jose, CA 95110